Monday, August 23, 2004

Just returned from a weekend in Orange County. Interesting, and I found a fun restaurant/oyster bar/brew pub in Brea, which is Jue's home town. Try "Taps" at the corner of Imperial Hwy and Brea Blvd. Nice new (looks old) brick building with a great fish menu and above-average beer.

Our former neighbor, Bob Knapp, psychiatrist, has just retired from the Army Reserve and his unit, the 113th CMS (I think) has just returned from Baghdad. Colonel Knapp has completed his 20, so he's out with his pension, and we thank him for his service!

** UPDATE** I forgot to mention that Col. Knapp received the Bronze Star, which, to me, is a Big Deal. I'm impressed!

Here's the presentation of medals and awards to the enlisted guys, who saluted smartly but were dressed casually. The Top Sergeant, Commanding Officer, and one other are on the left.




And here's the Colonel's retirement cake:




Back home, Hilton House has slowed down a bit, but we're rebuilding the old garage, now officially "Mieko's Garage". It's on the left, and the new Winnacker garage is on the right. Interesting juxtuposition.




** UPDATE** At the Mauna Lani Golf Course (I did par the 18th, you may remember) the battery-powered golf carts all had solar panels on their roofs. Makes sense and pleases the environmentalists among us. I like that!
However, for the sceptics among us, while walking past the cart garage, I noticed all the next-day's golf carts were washed, shined, and plugged into the house current!
I'm smiling a bit.

No comments: