Thursday, November 24, 2005

Gateshead Millennium Bridge


I am certain that at least fifteen other people besides me in the entire English-speaking world know about the Gateshead Millennium Bridge, Gateshead, UK, but I just became aware of it.

Built to celebrate the Millennium in 2000, it was designed by Wilkinson Eyre Architects, Gifford & Partners Engineers, for the City of Gateshead, which is located across the River Tyne from the much-better-known City of Newcastle (kind of like Oakland sitting across the Bay from San Francisco.) All this in northeast England.

The supporting structural arch appears to be inclined about 30 degrees from the vertical, and the pedestrian-bicycle bridgeway curves horizontally away from straight across, carried by tension strands from the overhead arch. Quite an engineering feat, and definitely striking in appearance. But, wait!

To permit passage for river boat traffic, several times a day the whole darned thing pivots on its end points to form a double-arched gateway over the river. It is truly an aesthetic and engineering marvel!

I am so impressed that I may make a special trip to Gateshead on my next English vacation.

No comments: