Friday, December 01, 2006

Hey, it's Berkeley!


Okay, this one is difficult. Interesting restaurant, pan-asian (whatever that means)food. Plusses and minuses (talk to me about spelling later.)

Unicorn is located on Telegraph, just below Dwight. The neighborhood is variously described as "authentic Berkeley" and as "seedy." Whatever. The night we were there, police cars were all over the place, and three sleeping bums were on the sidewalk as we left for home.

I'm stretching, but "adolescent master" is how I would describe the chef and the menu. The food is very good, delightfully presented, and well priced. No complaints at all. But, what is this? American or Singaporean? Do I use Tobasco or Tonkatsu?

But, this is "pan-asian" to the extreme! Ox-tail and spring rolls? That's a winner? Fresh crab/lemon grass salad and lamb chops? Where did that come from? Individually, good! Together, whoa!

I was confused, but you may enjoy it! The wine is good, the service is thoughtful, and the decor is attractive. Please go, and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

tempdisplaced said...

Sounds intriguing! Next time I'm in the neighborhood, I'll have to look it up.